Russian Adventure team sticking it out
15:06 p.m. EDT May 14, 2003
While some teams in the past have resigned to leaving Everest shortly after the 20th of May and heading home, the Russians will not. Their initial plans were to leave BC on the North side May 26th. Most of the team is ready to extend their stay to summit if need be. These guy are not going to give up so soon.
Alexander Abramov reports:
"13, May. Already as a month we have gone with yaks to ABC. I suppose you are tired of reading about the adventures of our walking between the BC and the camp at 7000m. Please be tolerant it is a classical expedition to Everest. None of the other expeditions have ascended above 7700m. This fact can constitute justification to us.
According to the weather forecast the good weather is expected after the 22nd of May. The strong wind is ruining our plans. We have tickets to Moscow on the 2nd of June. In order to have time to return we should go down with yaks from the ABC to the BC on the 26th of May. It seems to us this will be unreal. Most members of our expedition are ready to postpone the date of the departure. Alexsandr Sergeev was not able to ascend from 7000m to 7500m because of the strong wind and he had to return to the BC.
The leaders of all expeditions will gather at 1700 hrs. The expedition of China offers to combine efforts to trace the ropes of railings above 8300m. So my expeditions provide 16 sherpas.
It is snowing now and the weather has become warmer. It is the end of the message,
This expedition is part of a new project called the, "Russian Adventure Team." Their goal is to climb the seven summits of the seven continents - The first peak climbed was Mt. Elbrus this past January 8th and then Kilimanjaro. After Everest, they will head to Carstensz Pyramid.
Image courtesy of Mountain.ru
Alexander's dispatch translated and forwarded by our friends as Mountain.ru